Dandyism .... an "ism" long forgotten.


Sitting on a very comfortable Brown Starbucks armchair, listening to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata on Spotify, drinking tall skinny latte, looking at pedestrians with uniform outfits and remembering Woody Allen’s film; Midnight in Paris? 

The movie was about how one always feels the want to go back in time and live in another era. I feel the same now. I too want to receive letters from Mr. Darcy and I too would like to find myself a true “Dandy”! A man of refined language, a man who elevates aesthetics to a living religion, a real gentleman, one of a kind. 



What was wrong with men opening doors for us, dressing well, asking us to dance with them, letting us have the only seat left on the train and giving us handkerchiefs when we sneezed? Was that what feminism was about? Was that the freedom we were looking for? Losing out on all the femininity inside of us? Was the philosophy named correctly? Wasn’t it a plead for masculinism!?



I lose my train of thought as I take a glance at my unmanicured nails and my puffy jacket laying in front of me.  Then I just remind myself of all that is real in my world and with a sip of the universal coffee in my hand I bring myself back to reality and awakened from my dreams. 

Comments

Popular Posts